Friday, July 31, 2009

Rededicating

Orchids - Nikon D40 (click photo for larger version)

I have written previously about how my inspiration for this blog comes in fits and starts. I'll post regularly for a while, then not for weeks. I had a thousand excuses why this is, but no good reasons to change. Until now.

I was reading the blog of a jewelry designer in Scotland, Abigail A. Percy, who makes gorgeous gold and silver jewelry. I can't afford her work, but I enjoy reading about it. In her most recent post she writes about how she lost track of updating her blog and when it was brought to her attention, she realized that posting gave her a daily sense of accomplishment. This, in turn, helped her to feel more organized and less chaotic, even if a blog post was all she got around to on a given day.

This hit me like a cool, bracing wind, energizing and inspiring me. Often times I feel as though I get nothing worthwhile completed in a day's time, but I always love the feeling of posting to my blog. As many smart people have said, I was "allowing the urgent to crowd out the important".

So, as the title of this post suggests, I am returning to blogging with a new understanding of what has motivated me all along. In today's hectic, harried, stressful world, a sense of accomplishment, no matter how minor, is no small thing at all.

No comments: