Saturday, May 1, 2010

It's A Blog Party!

Pink 'n White - Nikon D40 with 55 mm lens

We're having a party over at Inspiration Avenue! Tutorials is our theme, and the only thing I can write that makes any sense is recipes. I'm more of a hands-on, right-there-with-you kind of teacher. But recipes, now those I can write. So here is one of my absolute favorites: Tuesday Pasta.

Invariably, I always end up making this pasta on Tuesday nights, though I never actually plan it that way. It is easy, delicious and even good for you. How's that for a yummy weeknight dinner?

Tuesday Night Pasta

Ingredients
1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, rinsed and dried
1 tub of fresh mozzarella balls (small size)- (I like Bel Gioioso Ciliegine) at room temperature
4 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 lb small pasta (farfalle, rotini, penne, etc.)
handful fresh basil, torn or chopped
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Start the sauce when you add the pasta to the boiling water.
2. Pour oil into large saucepan over medium heat.
3. Chop garlic and add to pan. Keep an eye on oil so it sizzles nicely but does not smoke and garlic does not burn. Cook for two minutes.
4. Add whole tomatoes, basil and salt and pepper to pan. Cook just until the tomato skins start to split.
5. Toss sauce, pasta and mozzarella in serving dish. Serve immediately.

Serves 2 generously.

Notes:
- Don't use fridge-cold mozzarella: it won't melt into the sauce if it is too cold.
- All measurements are approximate. Some prefer less garlic or more cheese (me! me!). Adjust to your taste.
- I like the pasta to be roughly the same size as the tomatoes and mozzarella, but this is also delicious with spaghetti or angel hair.
- If you can't find fresh mozzarella balls you can use a large hunk, just chop it into pieces roughly the size of the tomatoes.

I hope you try this recipe; I think you'll love it! If you have any questions I'll answer them in the comments! Now come on over to the party!



11 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmm ... this recipe looks wonderful! And, for people, like me, who are cooking-challenged, it seems reasonably easy! Yay!

Thanks, so much, for sharing this "lesson"!

Have a great day!

artangel said...

This sounds yummy!! Tomatoes, garlic, cheese and basil - classic flavours and I LOVE Italian cooking - I really must try this one!

Maggie said...

That's funny, I almost bought some fresh mozzarella balls at the grocery store this morning. I had the container in my hand and actually stood there thinking for a bit. But I wasn't sure what I would do with them, so I put it back, since I didn't want them to go moldy in the fridge. Aargh, now I'll have to go back to the store! This sounds so good I want some right now!

Priti Lisa said...

YUM! You can never go wrong with pasta and I love that this is meat-free and fresh...yummy, yummy!
xox

Kim Collister Studio said...

I love pasta, but fresh mozzerella balls, who knew? I will be looking for those little guys! thanks for sharing!

Plumrose Lane said...

Sounds delicious Chris, thanks! Will have to give a whirl, thanks!
♥Sharon

Chris said...

Aww, thanks, you guys! This is my all-time favorite pasta. I could make this in my sleep. And eat pounds of it, too.

Maggie: Fresh mozzarella balls are also delicious wrapped with a tiny piece of prosciutto and/or marinated in olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes.

Unknown said...

Oh wow, you make my stomach growl- this sounds delicious and I WILL be making it! Thanks for sharing!

Adventures in Art said...

Sounds delicious! I can't wait for Tuesday. Pasta will be yummy.

Charlie said...

mmmmm yummy can't wait to try this.
Hope you had a great weekend
Hugs,
Charlie

Unknown said...

Yummy! It has all my fav. ingredients :) Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

Sandy xox